Prep 2 hrs 30 mins
Cook 10 mins
These apples are perfect for Halloween or October suppers or gatherings. Cooking time includes refrigeration/setting time (2 hours). Recipe source: Realtor's flier.
- 4 large apples, washed and dried
- 1 cup macadamia nuts, chopped
- 1 (14 ounce) package caramel candies (non-creamy type works best)
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon shortening (Crisco)
- 4 wooden popsicle sticks (available in crafts stores) or 4 lollipop sticks (available in crafts stores)
- Remove stems from apples and insert stick into each apple. Set aside.
- Place chopped nuts into small pie pan or dish. Set aside.
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, melt caramels with 2 tablespoons water, stirring until smooth. Reduce heat to the lowest setting just to keep caramel melted (if using an electric stove turn off but keep pan on burner ).
- Preparing one apple at a time, dip apple into the melted caramel, twirling to remove excess. Immediately roll caramel coated apple into the nuts.
- Place on wax paper to set, while preparing the remainder of the apples.
- Put chocolate chips and shortening in small microwave safe bowl.Melt on high for 30 seconds to one minute. Pour melted chocolate into a thick large plastic bag (ziplock baggies works well).
- Snip a tiny hole in corner of bag and drizzle chocolate over apples, while holding and turning apple to cover all sides.
- Chill for 2 hours to set.
This was a different recipe for me for apples, but they turned out real well with the help from the kids. The macadamia nuts were a nice twist to this, as well as the chocolate. We may have gone overboard a little with the chocolate but at the end they turned out well. Made for PRMR tag.
My kids helped me make these this weekend and LOVED them. I've always wanted to try the "fancy" caramel apples and these worked out great!