Recipe by ellie_
These apples are perfect for Halloween or October suppers or gatherings. Cooking time includes refrigeration/setting time (2 hours). Recipe source: Realtor's flier.
Top Review by weekend cooker
This was a different recipe for me for apples, but they turned out real well with the help from the kids. The macadamia nuts were a nice twist to this, as well as the chocolate. We may have gone overboard a little with the chocolate but at the end they turned out well. Made for PRMR tag.
- 4 large apples, washed and dried
- 1 cup macadamia nuts, chopped
- 1 (14 ounce) package caramel candies (non-creamy type works best)
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon shortening (Crisco)
- 4 wooden popsicle sticks (available in crafts stores) or 4 lollipop sticks (available in crafts stores)
Directions See How It's Made
- Remove stems from apples and insert stick into each apple. Set aside.
- Place chopped nuts into small pie pan or dish. Set aside.
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, melt caramels with 2 tablespoons water, stirring until smooth. Reduce heat to the lowest setting just to keep caramel melted (if using an electric stove turn off but keep pan on burner ).
- Preparing one apple at a time, dip apple into the melted caramel, twirling to remove excess. Immediately roll caramel coated apple into the nuts.
- Place on wax paper to set, while preparing the remainder of the apples.
- Put chocolate chips and shortening in small microwave safe bowl.Melt on high for 30 seconds to one minute. Pour melted chocolate into a thick large plastic bag (ziplock baggies works well).
- Snip a tiny hole in corner of bag and drizzle chocolate over apples, while holding and turning apple to cover all sides.
- Chill for 2 hours to set.