Recipe by Special Ed
I made these the night before a neighborhood picnic for which I had signed on to bring baked beans. I didn't feel like going to the market, so I pulled out what I had and (with a quick consult with my mom) pulled this together. It's sweet with a citrusy kick.
Top Review by Lalaloob
I am not sure why the other reviewer gave your bean recipe just three stars because for ease alone and great taste, that deserves applause. I had all the ingredients which was a nice combination of spices (liked the addition of cocoa, who woulda thunk!) and it was perfect. So yea to you Special Ed! Lolly
- 30 ounces great northern beans (2 cans)
- 30 ounces canned kidney beans (2 cans)
- 15 ounces canned black beans (1 can)
- 1 cup brown sugar (packed)
- 1⁄2 cup molasses
- 1⁄4 cup ketchup
- 1⁄4 cup yellow mustard or 1⁄4 cup brown mustard
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon Old Bay Seasoning
- 10 ounces canned tomatoes and green chilies
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon soy oil (actually GINGER oil, a soy oil flavored with ginger extract)
Directions See How It's Made
- Rinse beans and pour into large casserole, or medium aluminum roasting pan.
- Mix remaining ingredients in a bowl with a spatula, until you has a chocolatey looking mix. It will look like grainy dark chocolate.
- Pour the sauce over the beans, and fold together gently until well combined.
- Cover and let stand in refrigerator for a few hours (I let it sit for about 18 hours, mixing midway through, but 1-2 hours is probably plenty).
- Cook at 350 degrees F., uncovered, for 1 hour, or until good and bubbly.