1/2 Photos of Spontaneous Baked Beans
1 hr 20 mins
Special Ed's Note:
I made these the night before a neighborhood picnic for which I had signed on to bring baked beans. I didn't feel like going to the market, so I pulled out what I had and (with a quick consult with my mom) pulled this together. It's sweet with a citrusy kick.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 30 ounces great northern beans (2 cans)
- 30 ounces canned kidney beans (2 cans)
- 15 ounces canned black beans (1 can)
- 1 cup brown sugar (packed)
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup yellow mustard or 1/4 cup brown mustard
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon Old Bay Seasoning
- 10 ounces canned tomatoes and green chilies
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon soy oil (actually GINGER oil, a soy oil flavored with ginger extract)
- 1Rinse beans and pour into large casserole, or medium aluminum roasting pan.
- 2Mix remaining ingredients in a bowl with a spatula, until you has a chocolatey looking mix. It will look like grainy dark chocolate.
- 3Pour the sauce over the beans, and fold together gently until well combined.
- 4Cover and let stand in refrigerator for a few hours (I let it sit for about 18 hours, mixing midway through, but 1-2 hours is probably plenty).
- 5Cook at 350 degrees F., uncovered, for 1 hour, or until good and bubbly.
Browse Our Top Beans Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Beans Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Spontaneous Baked Beans
Serving Size: 1 (173 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 16
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 217.6
- Calories from Fat 15
- Total Fat 1.7 g
- Saturated Fat 0.3 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 406.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 44.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.5 g
- Sugars 21.0 g
- Protein 8.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
Old Bay Seasoning