1/2 Photos of Sponge Started Challah Bread - Kosher
6 hrs 30 mins
Simple & straight forward. I like the brioche style starter sponge to make sure everything is moving right along.
My Private Note
16oz lo ...
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup warm water (100- 110 degrees F)
- 2 1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast (one package)
- 4 tablespoons honey
- 1 large egg
- 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 21. In the bottom of an electric mixing bowl, mix first 4 ingredients together in order of appearance.
- 32. Add only 1 cup of flour to yeast liquid, lightly mixing with a rubber spatula.
- 43. Sprinkle Remaining 1 cup of flour over mixture and set aside.
- 54. Let rise (in cool oven or other dry room temperature place) for 30min.
- 6When cracks form in flour, your yeast is doing it's job!
- 81. On top of the sponge, layer next 4 ingredients in bowl. Make sure salt does not touch yeast mixture.
- 92. STIR in mixer until everything is incorporated (1min) and then MIX on medium until dough begins to ball up.
- 10This takes 6-8min. If you have to add the 1/4 water, do it a table room at a time (I use a spray bottle) and mix for 1 min, then let it rest of 1 min to let the water soak up.
- 11The dough should pull away from sides of bowl, not be too tacky, and be elastic.
- 123. Turn out dough (you may not need ANY flour for this) and kned by hand into a round ball (only 4-6 strokes).
- 134. Spray mixing bowl with PAM (or butter) and place dough ball in bowl.
- 145. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise until ABOUT double (1 1/2 - 2 hours).
- 156. Gently deflate and repeat rise a second time.
- 167. Deflate again and tun out onto counter, again, you probably won't need flour, it's a really tight dough!
- 178. Divide dough in 1/2 and work each half into desired shape.
- 189. Cover and let rise a THIRD time (double, 1.5-2 hours).
- 201. Mix egg yolk and water.
- 212. Brush GENTLY on top of loaf (do not deflate).
- 223. Sprinkle seeds (if desired).
- 23BAKE: place in PREHEATED 400 degree oven, then immediately turn heat down to 350 (325 convection) and bake for about 30min. Bread will sound hollow and thermometer will read 190- 200 (it will coast up to 205).
- 24REMOVE from oven and let cool before taking out of pan -- ENJOY!
- 25You can FREEZE dough (up to one month) after 2nd rise by wrapping air tight. Let it thaw out overnight in the fridge and them shape, rise, bake - a GREAT way to get the prep work done ahead of time and always have fresh baked bread!
Browse Our Top Rolls/Biscuits Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sponge Started Challah Bread - Kosher
Serving Size: 1 (28 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 32
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 84.7
- Calories from Fat 25
- Total Fat 2.8 g
- Saturated Fat 0.4 g
- Cholesterol 16.8 mg
- Sodium 78.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 12.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.4 g
- Sugars 2.2 g
- Protein 2.0 g