Prep 23 mins
Cook 34 mins
another way my family made a pizza dough its pretty interesting and great to try:)
Make and share this Sponge Dough recipe from Food.com.
- Prepare dough sponge and proof yeast by mixing yeast, 1/2 cup flour, and 1/2 cup water with 1/2 teaspoons honey dissolved in the water in a bowl and letting stand for 20 minutes until mixture is foamy. (Throw out and start over with fresher yeast if not foamy.)
- Mix 1/2 of remaining flour with salt, remaining water with remaining honey dissolved in it, olive oil, and dough sponge. Mix in remaining flour (dough should be slightly sticky and not dry). Knead 15 minutes on a floured surface (10 minutes in a machine) until smooth. Use following Rise Method I or II:
- Rise Method I (normal): Place dough in lightly oiled bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Let rise until doubled (about 1 to 1 1/2 hours) in a warm place. Punch dough down and divide in half. Dust dough portions with flour and put in ziploc bags in the freezer for 30 minutes (stops rising) and then move to refrigerator until ready to use.
- Rise Method II (refrigerator): Divide dough in half. Dust dough portions with flour and put in ziploc bags in the refrigerator for two days.
- Remove dough portion from refrigerator when ready to shape into crust. Punch down dough thoroughly and spread/stretch dough portion by hand and roller on a greased pizza pan. Move dough crust to pizza peel spread with coarse cornmeal or to pizza screen. Add sauce, cheese, and toppings and bake in preheated 500° F oven directly on the pizza stone for 8-10 minutes or until crust is golden brown. Cool 2-3 minutes on a wire rack before cutting and serving.