Prep 40 mins
Cook 0 mins
A classic candy. Great plain or dipped in chocolate.
- 236.59 ml brown sugar
- 236.59 ml dark corn syrup
- 14.79 ml vanilla
- 14.79 ml baking soda
- chocolate, melted
- In a large, heavy saucepan, combine sugar, corn syrup and vanilla.
- Bring to boil over medium heat, stirring until sugar dissolves.
- Cook, without stirring, to 290-300°F.
- Remove from heat.
- Quickly stir in baking soda.
- Mix well.
- Turn into a deep, buttered 9 x 13-inch pan.
- Cool, then break into pieces.
- Dip into melted chocolate.
I am posting this for my DD. I passed this recipe to her as she had a urge for Sponge candy but the prices are prohibitive near her. Her word," OMG, this was so good and tastes so great there won't be any left when Sissy comes. (my sister) edited to add: I made a batch the other day and want to say this is a 10 star all the way! Simple to make and tastes great! I already packaged some to send and plan to make more for Christmas. Thank you!
My dh'sfamily has made this for years and everyone loves it. Just a couple tips. Be sure you use a large saucepan, when you add the baking soda to the mixture it foams up very quickly. Also, try not to make it on a humid day, it will not be as tender as it should be.
very good candy. a bit thinner in size but tasted great using melted milk chocolate chips. made to take to thanksgiving day party. cant wait for everyone to try. thanks!