Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
Found this on a website
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup white caster sugar
- 1 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 pinch salt
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1⁄2 cup low-fat milk
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1⁄2 cup sliced almonds or 1⁄2 cup unsweetened flaked coconut
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons milk
- Preheat oven to 175°C Grease and line bottom of a 8" round or square tin.
- Sift flour, salt and baking powder.
- Using electric beaters, beat eggs for 3-4 mins on high speed. Add white sugar and continue to beat until light, fluffy and increased in volume. Add flour mixture to egg mixture, blending until just combined, on low speed.
- Bring 1/2 cup milk and 1 tbsp butter to boil. Add to batter and beat to combine.
- Pour into tin and bake 25-35 mins until cake
- sides shrink from sides of the pan and a skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Remove cake from oven and prick all over with a wooden skewer. Remember to poke the holes all the way to the bottom of the cake because you want the sauce to seep all the way through when it is poured over the cake.
- Combine all the topping ingredients, except the almonds/coconut in a small saucepan. over medium-low heat, stir with a wooden spoon until the butter melts and mixture is smooth. Stir in almonds and coconut and take sauce off the heat. Quickly pour over the cake whilst it’s hot.
- Set your oven to grill and place cake under grill. Grill for 2-3 minutes until topping is caramelized and golden brown. (check on this every 10-15 seconds because if the grill is too hot, the almonds may burn)
- Leave the cake to cool in its tin so that the sauce can soak through the crumb. Once completely cool, carefully turn over onto a wire rack, peel off paper and turn back onto a serving plate or even back into the tin. Store cake at room temperature in an airtight container for 3-4 days.