Recipe by bakingfanatic
A recipe from my mom. Great for any dinner party dessert.
Top Review by Juliet from SA
How easy was that! It is my husband's birthday today, and i thought I would try something special. I have never ever made a cake like this before, but I must say it looks very impressive. Like Baby Kato put the cream on the inside (that is just the way we do it in Australia). I warmed some plum jam and spread that inside first (would have used strawberry, but had none). I haven't tasted it yet, but it looks awesome, and I feel so clever. Mine cooked in more like 12 minutes!
- 3⁄4 cup flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 4 large eggs, separated
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon any flavoring
- fresh strawberries (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Line the bottom of a jelly roll pan with parchment paper then grease.
- Sift together flour, baking powder, and salt in a small bowl.
- Beat egg yolks, sugar, and vanilla extract in a small bowl.
- Beat egg whites until stiff peaks form. Fold in yolk and flour mixture.
- Bake 20 minutes or until golden brown. Cool 5 minutes in pan, unmold and roll into roll starting from the short side(with paper still on) and refrigerate 5 minutes.
- Roll cake out and spread with cream then carefully roll up. Frost outside with cream and garnish with fresh strawberries.
- For sweetened cream beat whipping cream on low speed until frothy.
- Add sugar and flavoring and continue beating until soft peaks form (for best results freeze bowl and beaters before using).