Prep 25 mins
Cook 20 mins
A recipe from my mom. Great for any dinner party dessert.
- 3⁄4 cup flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 4 large eggs, separated
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon any flavoring
- fresh strawberries (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Line the bottom of a jelly roll pan with parchment paper then grease.
- Sift together flour, baking powder, and salt in a small bowl.
- Beat egg yolks, sugar, and vanilla extract in a small bowl.
- Beat egg whites until stiff peaks form. Fold in yolk and flour mixture.
- Bake 20 minutes or until golden brown. Cool 5 minutes in pan, unmold and roll into roll starting from the short side(with paper still on) and refrigerate 5 minutes.
- Roll cake out and spread with cream then carefully roll up. Frost outside with cream and garnish with fresh strawberries.
- For sweetened cream beat whipping cream on low speed until frothy.
- Add sugar and flavoring and continue beating until soft peaks form (for best results freeze bowl and beaters before using).
How easy was that! It is my husband's birthday today, and i thought I would try something special. I have never ever made a cake like this before, but I must say it looks very impressive. Like Baby Kato put the cream on the inside (that is just the way we do it in Australia). I warmed some plum jam and spread that inside first (would have used strawberry, but had none). I haven't tasted it yet, but it looks awesome, and I feel so clever. Mine cooked in more like 12 minutes!
Wow what a great recipe. This lovely cake was very quick and easy to make. I didn't have a jelly roll pan so I used a cookie sheet. It worked great. The sponge cake was light and airy, I filled it with strawberries and whip cream. I found that I didn't have enough whipping cream to frost the cake with ...so I used it in the filling instead. Next time I make this I will double the whipping cream requested. Thanks for posting this tasty tasty treat. I'm a very happy Pac mom...Kudos...Baby Kato