Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
Enjoy a sponge cake without worry about dairy
- 1 1⁄2 cups sifted flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 6 eggs, separated
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1⁄4 cup cold water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon rind, grated
- In bowl, sift together flour, 1 cup sugar, salt and baking powder.
- In another bowl, combine egg whites and cream of tartar.
- Beat until think.
- Slowly add 1/2 cup sugar and beat until mixture is stiff.
- In a third bowl combine egg yolks, water, vanilla, lemon juice and grated rind.
- Add this to the dry mixture and beat for 1 minute.
- Slowly fold in egg white, blending well.
- Pour into ungreased 10 inch tube pan.
- Bake for 40- 45 minutes at 350.
- Invert pan and cool for 1 hour before removing cake from pan.