Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
A nice Indian vegetarian dish to serve as a main course with salad and Naan bread or as a side dish. Recipe is from my Indian Vegetarian Cookbook.
- 198.44 g split peas, washed
- 709.77 ml water
- 29.58 ml ghee
- 2.46 ml whole cumin seed
- 2 bay leaves
- 2-3 green chilies, cut lengthwise (seeded and deveined for less heat)
- 591.47 ml potatoes, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 78.07 ml green peas
- 709.77 ml cauliflower, cut into large florets
- 2.46 ml ground turmeric
- 4.92 ml salt
- In a large saucepan bring the split peas and water to a boil. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Heat the ghee in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the cumin seeds, bay leaves and green chilies and let them sizzle for a few seconds. Add the potatoes, peas, cauliflower and fry for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the boiled split peas with the water, turmeric and salt. Mix thoroughly, lower heat and cook until the vegetables are tender. If the dal gets too thick, add a little more water.
This is a really nice, mild dish which was ideal for introducing my kiddos to Indian cuisine. The grown-ups wished for a bit more spice and kick, but could have easily changed that by leaving the chile seeds and/or adding more pepper. I was pleasantly surprised how quickly and easily this came together--the chopping was the hardest part! I served it with rice and sliced tomatoes, and really wish I had followed the advice to serve with naan or another flatbread instead. Ah well, next time! Thanks for sharing :). Made for ZWT 8: The Wild Bunch.