Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
from the South Beach cookbook -- totally yummy
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 celery ribs, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon cayenne
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 smoked ham hock
- 1 bay leaf
- 12 ounces yellow split peas
- Saute garlic, celery, carrot in oil with red pepper & cumin.
- Add chicken broth, ham, bay leaf. split peas and simmer till cooked, about 45 minutes. Mash or blend peas -- i use a hand blender, but you could use a blender, food processor, or even a hand masher.