Recipe by Jo Bass
This recipe was born of "what can I have for dinner with what I have on hand". Adding pork to legumes is an old "hill-billy" trick to make a bland dish have a little flavor, and make a cheap cut of meat go a long way. The okra adds some bite to what is otherwise a pretty bland dish.
- 1 package dried split peas
- 2 ham hocks (or any strong flavor pork will do)
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 cup frozen crowder peas (black-eyed)
- 1⁄2 cup okra
Directions See How It's Made
- Prepare split peas according to package directions.
- When well done, add ham hocks and frozen veggies.
- Simmer till veggies are tender and ham hocks well cooked.
- The okra lends a gluey, gumbo like consistency.
- Watch for scorching or sticking during simmering.
- Stir occasionally--even in a crock pot!