Prep 45 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Delicious and healthy too.
- 1 1⁄2 cups dried split peas, rinsed
- 6 cups water
- 2 onions, quartered
- 6 cloves garlic
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill or 1 teaspoon dried dill (or to taste)
- 1 lb potato, peeled and diced
- 1 large carrot, diced
- 1 yellow squash, diced
- 1 cup corn kernel, fresh or frozen
- salt and pepper
- In a big pot add the split peas and water.
- Bring to a rolling boil; lower heat.
- Skim off foam that rises to the top of the pot.
- Add the onions, garlic, and dill; simmer for 1 hour.
- Remove pot from heat source and let cool slightly.
- Process the soup in a blender (in batches) until smooth.
- Return soup to the pot.
- Add in the potatoes, carrot,squash, and corn.
- Cover and simmer about 1 hour or until the potatoes are tender.
- Add salt, pepper, and additional dill according to taste.
- The soup improves in flavor and thickens on standing.
- Thin with water if needed.
- Serve hot.