Recipe by Roosie
From Better Homes & Gardens January 2001. Prep time is to put tother the mix. Cook time is to cook the soup.
- 2⁄3 cup dried cheese-filled egg tortellini
- 1⁄4 cup dried tomatoe, snipped
- 1⁄3 cup dried split peas
- 1⁄2 cup chopped dried carrots
- 1 tablespoon chicken bouillon granule
- 1 tablespoon dried onion flakes
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried basil, crushed
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried thyme, crushed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper, ground
Directions See How It's Made
- Layer ingredients in a clean 1-pint jar.
- Suggested order: tortellini, tomatoes, peas, carrots, boullion, onion, basil, thyme, garlic powder, pepper.
- For Use: Empty jar ingredients into a 3-Qt saucepan.
- Add 5 cups water.
- Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer.
- Cover ans immer for about 50 minutes, or until peas are tender.
- If desired add 1 cup chopped cooked ham or sausage If you have a hard time finding dried carrots, they are availiable by the"Just Tomatoes, Etc.
- "brand (available for order online at www. justtomatoes. com) which are available at a lot of stores and health food markets now adays (I've even seen them at pet stores), but if that's too much of a pain, I would just add"add chopped carrots" to the directions.
- As for the dried onions, if you can't find those, you can add a little bit of onion powder to the recipe (~1/2tsp) or add"Add diced onion" to the directions.