Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
- 3 1⁄2 cups water, divided
- 1 cup dried yellow split peas
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cups chopped cauliflower florets
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons minced peeled fresh ginger
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon cumin seed
- 1 tablespoon brown mustard seeds
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 4 cups torn spinach
- Combine 2 1/2 cups water, peas, and bay leaf in a large saucepan; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, and simmer, partially covered, 50 minutes or until tender. Add 1 cup water, cauliflower, and salt, and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, and simmer, uncovered, 20 minutes or until cauliflower is very tender, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat; discard bay leaf.
- Heat butter and oil in a small skillet over medium-high heat until butter melts. Add onion, ginger, and garlic; sauté 3 minutes.
- Add cumin and next 5 ingredients (cumin through cloves); cook over low heat 2 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add onion mixture to pea mixture. Simmer, uncovered, 15 minutes or until thick. Stir in spinach; cook 3 minutes or until spinach wilts.