Recipe by ellie_
8 points plus/serving. A different version of split pea soup.
Top Review by Sharon123
A nice soup for a chilly night. I did change it slightly. I used vegetable broth, had some leftover lentils, so used them instead of chickpeas and didn't have fresh cilantro, so used fresh parsley. Very nice and next time will use cilantro. Thanks!
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon coriander, ground
- 1 tablespoon cumin, ground
- 1 (32 ounce) carton chicken broth (or for vegetarian meal, use vegetarian broth)
- 1 (16 ounce) bagdried yellow split peas, picked over, rinsed and drained
- 3⁄4 cup chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1⁄4 cup fresh cilantro stem (garnish)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large soup pot or dutch oven heat oil over medium heat. Stir in onion and cook, covered, stirring occasionally for 3-5 minutes. Stir in garlic, coriander and cumin and cook another minutes, stirring frequently.
- Sir in broth and split peas; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered for one hour.
- Using an immersion blender (or pour into a blender) and puree. Either pour back into pot or if using an immersion blender leave in pot and add chickpeas and tomatoes into mixture. Cook, covered until heated through (10 minutes). Garnish with cilantro.