Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 3 hrs
I first had this at my aunt and uncle's, had never heard of split pea soup with anything other than ham in it. Loved this, I definitely prefer spareribs to ham in this soup! Boiling the ribs in the soup and then letting it simmer for hours leaves the meat more tender than the crockpot! As written, it was a bit bland for our tastes, we added an extra tsp of the hickory salt and will try adding more peppercorns next time (I couldn't even taste the pepper this time). I added one tsp of pepper to the leftovers and that seemed to help.
- Place spareribs and water in large stockpot and bring to a boil.
- Rinse and drain peas; add to stockpot along with celery, carrots, leeks, hickory salt, salt, and thyme.
- Tie bay leaves, parsley, and peppercorns in small cheesecloth and place in soup.
- Cover and reduce heat to a simmer. Simmer for 3-4 hours or until soup is the consistency of a thin porridge. Add additional hot water periodically if needed.
- Remove ribs from soup, strip meat from bones and add meat to soup.
- Add additional seasoning if needed, remove bundle of herbs, and serve.