- 1 lb dry split peas
- 3 medium carrots, sliced 1/2 inch thick
- 3⁄4 cup diced celery
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 quarts water
- 3 medium potatoes, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 3⁄4 cup finely chopped celery
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 4 tablespoons oil, divided
- 1 lb ground pork
- 1 1⁄2 cups soft breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried sage, crushed
- 1 egg
Directions See How It's Made
- In a Dutch oven, combine peas, carrots, celery, onion and water.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 1 hour.
- Add potatoes, salt and pepper, cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile in a large skillet, saute celery and onion in 2 T oil until tender.
- Transfer to a bowl, add pork, bread crumbs, water, salt, sage and egg and mix well.
- Form into 3/4" balls and in same skillet, brown meatballs in remaining oil.
- Add to soup, cover and simmer for 15 minutes.