Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 35 mins
From Like Grandma Used To Make by Reader's Digest, c. 1996.
Make and share this Split Pea Soup With Kielbasa recipe from Food.com.
- 3 1⁄2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup dried split peas, sorted and rinsed
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 large yellow onions, shopped
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can low-sodium tomatoes, undrained and cut up
- 2 large carrots, chopped
- 6 ounces turkey kielbasa, sliced (Polish sausage)
- 1⁄2 cup water
- In a large saucepan, combine the broth, peas, cumin, salt, and red pepper. Bring to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer, covered, for 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the onions, tomatoes, carrots, kielbasa, and water. Bring to aboil. Lower heat and simmer, covered, for 25 minutes more or until vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally.