Prep 25 mins
Cook 3 hrs 30 mins
I'm a pea soup fan, but have evolved a "Cook's Colour Treasury" recipe to my own taste, and thought I'd share it out will the Board. We freeze this one for lunches at work, and enjoy it greatly! Low fat, high fibre healthy eating!
- 1 1⁄2 cups dried split green peas
- 1 liter low sodium chicken broth (Campbells)
- 1⁄2 liter low sodium vegetable broth (Campbells)
- 1 (1 1/2-2 lb) smoked ham hock, very roughly chopped, bone included
- 3 carrots, skinned, split and finely coined
- 1 onion, diced
- 20 green beans, chopped to 3/4-inch lengths
- 2 -3 tablespoons garlic, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup pot barley (optional)
- 1 cup frozen peas
- Empty the chicken and vegetable stock into a large pot, heat to a low boil.
- Add split peas and chunks and bones of ham hock, ensuring all are covered.
- Simmer for about 2.5 hours until peas are tender.
- Evacuate ham chunks to a cutting board and allow to cool.
- Drain stock and reserve.
- Toss peas into a blender and puree carefully until smooth.
- Mix peas into the reserved stock and set to simmer.
- Skin ham chunks and discard skin and fat.
- Debone the meat and slice small 1/2" square pieces; add to soup mix.
- Add barley if desired and stir periodically so it soesn't stick and burn to the pot.
- Add onion, garlic and carrots and stir.
- Allow this to simmer about an hour, stirring every 15 minutes.
- Add beans and peas, stirring, allow these to cook about 15 minutes.
- You may serve like this, with or without croutons, or pour into indivdual tupperware containers and freeze for future use.
This sounds absolutely delicious and healthy too!! Perfect with some cornbread! Thank you! Love, Becky