- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 medium onion, chopped medium
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped medium
- 3 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 lb ham steak, chopped fine
- 1 pinch sugar
- 1 lb dried split peas, picked over and rinsed
- 6 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 bay leaf
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt butter in large stockpot over medium heat. Add onion, carrots, garlic, ham and sugar; cover and cook until vegetables are soft, 8 to 10 minutes. Add peas, broth, water and bay leaf; increase heat to high and bring to boil.
- Reduce heat to medium low and simmer until peas are soft, about 40 minutes. Discard bay leaf and add pepper to taste. Serve.