Recipe by *Parsley*
Easy and inexpensive to make. Great winter soup.
Top Review by PanNan
I had a ham bone with some ham on it left over from a honey baked ham and made this recipe for PAC. I cooked it per the directions (covered), then because we love thick pea soup, I simmered it another hour without the lid. So thick and rich and delicious! Will definitely make it again.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 carrots, peeled and chopped fine
- 3 celery ribs, chopped fine, include leaves
- 2 quarts water
- 4 chicken bouillon cubes
- 1 lb dried split peas
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 8 ounces cooked ham, chopped
- salt, if needed to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large soup pot, melt butter. Saute the onions and garlic for about 3 - 4 minutes.
- Add the chopped carrots and celery to the pot. Cook for another 3-4 minutes.
- Add to the pot, the water, boillioun cubes, split peas, pepper, thyme, red pepper flakes, and chopped ham.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat.
- Cover and simmer for 1 hour until split peas are very tender. Smash some of the peas in the pot with a masher; if desired.
- Taste and add salt, if needed.