Prep 10 mins
Cook 4 hrs
I love split pea and ham soup, and this is one of my comfort foods. Cooked in a crock pot, this is an easy meal to enjoy on a cold winter night. I found this recipe on an awesome cooking blog, melskitchencafe.com.
- 5 cups water
- 2 chicken bouillon cubes (or 2 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup dried split green peas
- 1⁄2 cup pearl barley (not quick-cooking barley)
- 2 cups ham, chopped
- 3⁄4 cup carrot, chopped
- 3⁄4 cup yellow onion, chopped
- 3⁄4 cup celery, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- In a medium bowl or liquid measure, combine the water, bouillon cubes and spices and whisk to combine (it's ok if the bouillon cubes don't completely dissolve).
- In a medium round slow cooker (about 4-quart), layer peas, barley, ham, carrots, onion and celery. Do not mix.
- Pour in the water/spices mixture and add the bay leaf to the slow cooker.
- DON'T STIR!
- Cover the slow cooker and cook on high for four hours or on low eight hours, until the peas reach the desired creamy, soft texture.
- Remove the bay leaf, stir well, and add salt and pepper to taste, if needed. Serve immediately.
- Note: Upon sitting and/or refrigerating, this soup thickens considerably. Simply add water or chicken broth to thin the soup to the desired consistency before re-serving.