Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
Found a bag of dried split peas in the pantry and this is what I came up with.
- 2 slices bacon, diced
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 2 celery ribs, diced
- 2 cups dried split green peas
- 8 cups water
- 1 chicken bouillon cube
- 2 tablespoons hot sauce
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup Polish sausage, diced (optional)
- In a large dutch oven, render fat from bacon over medium high heat. Add onion, stirring to coat in bacon grease, reduce heat and sweat for 10 minutes. Turn back up and add carrots & celery and cook for 5 more minutes. Add peas, water & boullion cube with salt and black pepper to taste. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes or until peas are tender.
- Turn off the heat and at this point, use an emersion blender or a masher to mash some of the peas. You don't want to make it really smooth; it should have a chunky texture. Stir in hot sauce, vinegar & sausage. Taste to adjust any seasonings. Serve with sprinkling of chopped green onion and a dollop of sour cream.