Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
Posted in request for vegetarian oamc recipes. Prep time does not include soaking peas overnight.
Make and share this Split Pea Soup (oamc) recipe from Food.com.
- 1 (12 ounce) packagedry split peas
- 3 cups water
- 3⁄4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1⁄8 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1⁄3 cup chopped celery
- 3⁄4 cup peeled sliced carrot
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 pinch salt, to taste
- Rinse split peas, soak in cold water overnight; drain.
- Put peas with remaining ingredients in a large saucepan.
- Bring to a boil; reduce heat, and stir occasionally.
- Simmer about 2 hours until peas are tender and turn pasty.
- Cool, label and freeze.
- To serve: thaw soup and simmer until warmed through. If too thick, add some water until desired consistancy.
This is lovely. I use green split peas and the colour is much nicer. Also fresh onion, celery.
A nice, basic recipe for pea soup, to which you could add just about anything. A little bacon takes my fancy! However, I did have a few "glitches" I had to sort out with the recipe. It needed 3 to 4 htimes as much water or otherwise the soup would have burned and it also took nearer 4 hours for the peas to cook. Maybe this is down to the type of split pea? Mine weren't old because I'd only bought them a couple weeks earlier. I also added a little bit of stock powder to the soup about halfway through cooking as I felt it was just a touch bland.