Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
Posted in request for vegetarian oamc recipes. Prep time does not include soaking peas overnight.
- 1 (12 ounce) packagedry split peas
- 3 cups water
- 3⁄4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1⁄8 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1⁄3 cup chopped celery
- 3⁄4 cup peeled sliced carrot
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 pinch salt, to taste
- Rinse split peas, soak in cold water overnight; drain.
- Put peas with remaining ingredients in a large saucepan.
- Bring to a boil; reduce heat, and stir occasionally.
- Simmer about 2 hours until peas are tender and turn pasty.
- Cool, label and freeze.
- To serve: thaw soup and simmer until warmed through. If too thick, add some water until desired consistancy.
This is lovely. I use green split peas and the colour is much nicer. Also fresh onion, celery.
A nice, basic recipe for pea soup, to which you could add just about anything. A little bacon takes my fancy! However, I did have a few "glitches" I had to sort out with the recipe. It needed 3 to 4 htimes as much water or otherwise the soup would have burned and it also took nearer 4 hours for the peas to cook. Maybe this is down to the type of split pea? Mine weren't old because I'd only bought them a couple weeks earlier. I also added a little bit of stock powder to the soup about halfway through cooking as I felt it was just a touch bland.