- 1 (12 ounce) packagedry split peas
- 3 cups water
- 3⁄4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1⁄8 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1⁄3 cup chopped celery
- 3⁄4 cup peeled sliced carrot
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 pinch salt, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Rinse split peas, soak in cold water overnight; drain.
- Put peas with remaining ingredients in a large saucepan.
- Bring to a boil; reduce heat, and stir occasionally.
- Simmer about 2 hours until peas are tender and turn pasty.
- Cool, label and freeze.
- To serve: thaw soup and simmer until warmed through. If too thick, add some water until desired consistancy.