Recipe by Alan Leonetti
This recipe was developed by my partner, Dean Ramsey and everyone just raves about it, because it's the BEST PEA SOUP you have ever tasted!
Top Review by Buster's friend
Simply the BEST split pea soup EVER! Followed directions up to simmer on stove top - I baked mine in a dutch oven at 250 F for 4 hours - FABULOUS! Even beter reheated - needs additional water when reheating because oh so very thick. So nice it doesn't separate as some split pea soups do. Maybe the potatoes? Anyway, thanks for a hearty nutritious and EASY soup to take us into the holiday season. Will be serving with sweet potato rolls tomorrow and Wednesday (bet it will be gone before Thanksgiving)!
- 2 (16 ounce) bags split peas
- 2 medium carrots (diced)
- 1 large onion (diced)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder (granulated)
- 2 medium potatoes (diced)
- 1 meaty ham bone or 2 smoked pork shanks
- 2 bay leaves
- salt & pepper
- crusty bread (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Place all ingredients into a large stew pot.
- Cover ingredients with water about 2 inches above the top of the ingredients.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for about 3 hours, or until peas are pureed and slightly thickened.
- Serve with a crusty bread if desired.