1/3 Photos of Split Pea Soup a La Julia Child
5 hrs 40 mins
This is the only split pea soup I've ever made more than once. The basic recipe comes from Julia's "The Way to Cook", and has a very clean, fresh flavor. It requires some work, but I like that I can freeze the ham stock and then make the soup at a later date without the murky taste of a lot of one pot pea soups.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
The Ham Stock
- 2 well-washed and scrubbed split ham hocks
- 3 quarts water
- 1 cup chopped carrot (coarse is fine)
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 5 whole cloves or 5 allspice berries
- 1For the stock, put the ham hocks in a kettle with water to cover by 2 inches.
- 2Make an herb bouquet with washed cheesecloth, using the bay leaves, thyme and cloves or allspice.
- 3Put this in the pot, along with the carrots, onions and celery.
- 4Simmer 3 to 4 hours with the kettle cover slightly open.
- 5Or, simmer in crockpot for 8 hours on low.
- 6Skim occasionally.
- 7Strain and degrease.
- 8Easiest way to degrease is to make ahead and chill, remove fat when cold.
- 9Freeze if you want.
- 10To make the soup, set a saucepan over medium heat and melt the butter.
- 11Saute the vegetables, stirring, for 5 minutes.
- 12Blend in the flour and cook, stirring for 3 minutes.
- 13Remove from the heat and cool briefly, blend in the hot ham stock and the split peas.
- 14Bring to a simmer, stirring.
- 15Cover and cook about 45 minutes until peas are tender.
- 16Salt and pepper to taste after 1/2 hour of simmering.
- 17When cooked, mash or puree the soup depending on the consistency you want.
- 18Garnish with homemade croutons or sauteed ham bits if desired.
Browse Our Top Time To Make Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Split Pea Soup a La Julia Child
Serving Size: 1 (630 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 265.6
- Calories from Fat 58
- Total Fat 6.5 g
- Saturated Fat 3.7 g
- Cholesterol 15.2 mg
- Sodium 92.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 40.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 14.3 g
- Sugars 7.4 g
- Protein 13.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: