1/3 Photos of Split Pea Soup a La Julia Child
5 hrs 40 mins
This is the only split pea soup I've ever made more than once. The basic recipe comes from Julia's "The Way to Cook", and has a very clean, fresh flavor. It requires some work, but I like that I can freeze the ham stock and then make the soup at a later date without the murky taste of a lot of one pot pea soups.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
The Ham Stock
- 2 well-washed and scrubbed split ham hocks
- 3 quarts water
- 1 cup chopped carrot (coarse is fine)
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 5 whole cloves or 5 allspice berries
- 1For the stock, put the ham hocks in a kettle with water to cover by 2 inches.
- 2Make an herb bouquet with washed cheesecloth, using the bay leaves, thyme and cloves or allspice.
- 3Put this in the pot, along with the carrots, onions and celery.
- 4Simmer 3 to 4 hours with the kettle cover slightly open.
- 5Or, simmer in crockpot for 8 hours on low.
- 6Skim occasionally.
- 7Strain and degrease.
- 8Easiest way to degrease is to make ahead and chill, remove fat when cold.
- 9Freeze if you want.
- 10To make the soup, set a saucepan over medium heat and melt the butter.
- 11Saute the vegetables, stirring, for 5 minutes.
- 12Blend in the flour and cook, stirring for 3 minutes.
- 13Remove from the heat and cool briefly, blend in the hot ham stock and the split peas.
- 14Bring to a simmer, stirring.
- 15Cover and cook about 45 minutes until peas are tender.
- 16Salt and pepper to taste after 1/2 hour of simmering.
- 17When cooked, mash or puree the soup depending on the consistency you want.
- 18Garnish with homemade croutons or sauteed ham bits if desired.
Browse Our Top Time To Make Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Time To Make Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Split Pea Soup a La Julia Child
Serving Size: 1 (630 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 265.6
- Calories from Fat 58
- Total Fat 6.5 g
- Saturated Fat 3.7 g
- Cholesterol 15.2 mg
- Sodium 92.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 40.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 14.3 g
- Sugars 7.4 g
- Protein 13.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: