- 2 cups dried split peas, washed and drained
- 1 1⁄2 quarts water
- 1⁄2 cup peeled and thinly sliced carrot
- 1⁄2 cup thinly sliced celery
- 1 cup peeled and thinly sliced onion
- 2 1⁄4 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried rubbed sage
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine all ingredients in large saucepan or dutch oven.
- Place over moderately high heat (300°) and bring to boil.
- Reduce heat to moderately low (225°) and cover tightly.
- Stirring occasionally, simmer 1 1/4-1 1/2 hr.
- ,until split peas are tender.
- If a thinner soup is desired, add more water.
- 4-6 servings.