Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
Can you say "Exorcist"?
- 2 cups dried split peas, washed and drained
- 1 1⁄2 quarts water
- 1⁄2 cup peeled and thinly sliced carrot
- 1⁄2 cup thinly sliced celery
- 1 cup peeled and thinly sliced onion
- 2 1⁄4 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried rubbed sage
- Combine all ingredients in large saucepan or dutch oven.
- Place over moderately high heat (300°) and bring to boil.
- Reduce heat to moderately low (225°) and cover tightly.
- Stirring occasionally, simmer 1 1/4-1 1/2 hr.
- ,until split peas are tender.
- If a thinner soup is desired, add more water.
- 4-6 servings.
I'm sorry to give this a low rating. This recipe uses twice the amount of onion that I would normally use in split pea soup and we found it to be overwhelming, causing the soup to be inedible for us.
Haven't tried this yet, but it sounds as good as the rest of the recipes for pea soup. Five stars for the description, lol!