Prep 15 mins
Cook 6 hrs
My mom ruth use to give this to me when i was sick.
- 2 cups diced onions
- 1 lb dried split peas
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 1⁄2 cups diced carrots
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 chicken bouillon cubes
- 1 1⁄4 lbs ham hocks
- Put all ingredients and 7 cups of water in a 5 and 1/2 quart or larger slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on high for 6 hours pr low 12 hours until peas are very soft and they fall apart.
- Remove ham.
- When cool enough to handle, cut meat off the bone, dice and return to soup.
I'm a big fan of Split Pea Soup, and this hit the spot! I diced up some ham and turkey bacon (didn't have a ham hock) & omitted the carrot (same reason - but would add next time). VERY DELICIOUS! Comfort food at its finest for a cold Nebraska day. Thanks for a super recipe!
Made this top of stove for a shorter time. Loved it.