Recipe by CountryLady
The ultimate comfort food on a cold day!Although the recipe calls for a smoked ham hock, I prefer using a meaty bone from a spiral cut ham. This soup is much thicker on day 2 but if you prefer a thicker, more rustic soup, increase the amount of peas to 2 cups.Credit goes to Toronto chef Christine Cushing.
Top Review by WLynn Chambers
This is hands down the very best split pea soup recipe I have ever eaten. I also used a spiral cut ham bone (plus, left over ham). Left out the chili flakes, coriander and flat leaf parsley. I put all of the ingredient in a crock pot about 1:00 p.m. and it was perfectly done at 5:30 p.m. It was nice and thick. My husband and a friend of ours truly loved this recipe. Thank you so much for sharing.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 large carrot, diced
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 1 leek, white part only,washed and diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ham hocks (preferably smoked)
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- 1 pinch dried chili flakes (optional)
- 1 1⁄2 cups split peas
- 10 cups chicken stock
- 1⁄4 cup fresh coriander, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup flat leaf parsley, chopped
- coarse salt
- freshly cracked black pepper
- additional stock or water, if needed to thin the soup
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the butter in a Dutch oven or large soup pot on medium heat.
- Add the onion, carrot, celery, leek, and garlic and cook until soft, about 5 to 7 minutes.
- Add the ham hock, bay leaves, thyme, chile flakes and split peas and cook 2 minutes longer.
- Increase heat to high.
- Add the stock and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low.
- Simmer soup, partially covered, for 2 hours or until split peas are soft, stirring occasionally.
- Remove the ham hock and take meat off bone and reserve.
- Discard the bay leaves and thyme stalks.
- With a hand held blender smooth purée some of the soup.
- If the soup is too thick add some more water or stock to loosen.
- Return meat to the pot, bring back to a boil and add the chopped coriander& parsley.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve hot.