Recipe by BoxO'Wine
Comfort food at its best. Perfect for a snowy day. Freezes well so double the recipe and have on hand. I freeze it in gallon size ziplock freezer bags so it doesnt take up too much room. Lay flat in the freezer.
Top Review by The_Swedish_Chef
I liked the sound of this recipe so I went out, bought the ingredients and whipped it together. The funny thing was, on the package of Jack Rabbit brand split peas, was this IDENTICAL recipe! I guess if the pea company publishes it, it must be good! I liked it a lot, but added 1 teaspoon of Liquid Smoke to it, which greatly improved the depth of taste. *Wanted to Add that you do NOT need to soak split peas. All the packages say that so I've just dumped them in along with the ingredients when I make this soup.
- 1 lb split peas
- 8 cups cold water
- 1 can beef or 1 can chicken broth
- 1 ham bone
- 1 large onion, chopped (1 1/2 cups)
- 1⁄2 cup chopped celery
- 1 large potato, finely chopped
- 1 large carrot, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon crushed rosemary (optional)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- thinly sliced hot dogs or smoked sausage (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Rinse and soak green peas in cold water to cover for approx 2 hrs.
- Drain peas.
- Place peas, 8 cups water, and broth in large soup pot.
- Stir in all remaining ingredients except salt and pepper.
- Bring to boil over high heat, reduce to low heat, cover and simmer 2 1/2 hrs.
- Remove and set aside ham bone.
- Remove and discard bay leaf.
- Strain peas and vegetables from soup and place in food processor or blender and puree.
- Return puree mixture to soup.
- Cut ham pieces from ham bone and return to soup.
- (optional) Add thinly sliced hot dogs or smoked sausage pieces to soup.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.