Recipe by Gruenes
This is my husband's split pea soup recipe. Enjoy!!!
Top Review by NaNa BKM
This recipe was very good & I will make it again. My husband suggested adding more ham than just the ham hock meat, so I added about 1 cup diced ham per recipe, I doubled the recipe so I could freeze some for an easy after work meal. I also added 1 clove of garlic & about 1 tsp. pepper. Thanks for posting your recipe!!
- 1 cup dried split peas
- 7 cups water
- 2 stalks celery (diced)
- 1 onion (diced)
- 2 carrots (diced)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 smoked pork hock
Directions See How It's Made
- Wash peas and then soak overnight in 2 cups of water.
- Drain peas.
- Put about 4 cups of water in a kettle along with all the other ingredients. Make sure the ham hock is covered with water (very important), so you may need more water.
- Bring to a boil, continue boiling for about 45 minutes.
- Simmer for 45 more minutes until the meat is done.
- Remove meat, let it cool, and remove from bone, cut it up and put back in the soup.
- Add your last cup of water and bring back to a boil.