Prep 10 mins
Cook 3 hrs
This recipe is so tasty and so simple to make! I never had Split Pea soup until after I was married. It is one of my husbands favourites, so this my Mother-in-law's recipe. When I make it I chop my vegetables in a food processor, as we prefer it not so chunky, feel free to do it either way! Also, this soup is even better the next day :yummy:
- 8 cups water
- 2 1⁄4 cups dried split peas
- 2 lbs smoked ham, bone in
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 medium carrots, cut into 1/2 inch pieces (or chopped)
- 2 medium celery ribs, cut into 1/2 inch pieces (or chopped)
- Heat water and peas to boiling in a dutch oven. Boil for 2 minutes. Remove from heat, cover and let stand for 1 hour.
- Stir ham, onion, salt and pepper in peas. Heat to boiling, reduce heat. Cover and simmer until peas are tender, about an hour.
- Skim fat if necessary.
- Remove ham, trim fat and bone from ham. Cut ham into 1/2 inch pieces (or smaller). Stir ham, carrots and celery into soup. Heat to boiling, reduce heat. Cover and simmer until vegetables are tender, about 45 minutes.
This was wonderful! I ended up using a package of 3 ham hocks that I cooked and then when I took them out, I put a couple slices of turkey bacon cut up in. I didn't add celery for dh, but I did add some celery salt and a little extra pepper. DD said it was better than the famous Anderson's Pea Soup. DS son said to tell you it was the best in the world! I made this with some wonderful recipe #244343 on the side. Wonderful fall dinner! Thank you! 3/27/08 Made this again using leftover ham from Easter, I also added in some chicken broth. We had toppings -sharp cheddar and sour cream.
What a fantastic soup. We loved it. It's hearty and packed with flavour. A perfect candidate for those cold winter days ahead. I will be making it a lot. I used a lamb bone that I had in the freezer which had a ton of meat on it still. I only wish I had doubled the recipe. Oh well, next time.