Prep 10 mins
Cook 3 hrs 15 mins
From "Good Home Cookbook"
- 8 cups water
- 2 cups dried split peas, rinsed and debris removed
- 1 ham bone or 2 smoked ham hocks
- 1 leek, trimmed and chopped (white part only)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- black pepper
- 2 medium carrots, finely chopped (optional)
- Combine the water, peas, and ham bone in a large soup pot or saucepan. Bring to a boil. Skim off any foam that rises to the top.
- Add the leek, onion, and salt and pepper to taste. REduce the heat and barely simmer, partially covered, for 3 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Remove the bone, and cut the meat from the bone. Finely hcop the meat and return to the soup. Discard the bone.
- Add the carrots, if using, and continue to simmer until the carrots are tender, about 15 minutes.
- Taste and adjust the seasoning as needed; serve hot.