Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is a great way to use up a leftover ham bone. This is our favorite version of this soup. Hope you enjoy it.
- 1 ham bone (preferably with enough meat left to make 1 1-2 cups)
- 1 (16 ounce) package split peas
- 2 carrots, thinly sliced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 7 cups water
- 1⁄4 teaspoon whole allspice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon peppercorn
- 1 bay leaf
- In a 5-quart dutch oven over medium heat, heat bone, split peas, carrots, onion, and water to boiling.
- Tie allspice, peppercorns, and bay leaf in a piece of cheesecloth. Add to bone mixture.
- Reduce heat to low; cover; simmer 1 hour. Discard spice bag; add salt if necessary.
- Remove bone to cutting board. Cut off meat and discard done.
- Cut meat into bite-size chunks and return to soup for serving.
This was really good, just the right amount of water to make the soup a good texture. I used some diced thick ham slices instead of the ham bone and it worked fine. I found I didn't need to add extra salt, since the ham tends to be salty enough already. Thanks for sharing this, momstar.