Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
Great recipe. I would tell my kids that this was green alien soup. If you like your soup chunkier, process only half of the soup. Original recipe from "Reader's Digest"
- 1 tablespoon margarine, reduced fat
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cups chicken broth, low fat
- 2 cups water
- 1⁄2 cup split peas, dried,rinsed and sorted
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled,and quartered
- 2 slices low-fat ham, 97% fat free,med chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- In a large heavy soup pan melt the margarine over med heat.
- Add the onion and cook, uncovered until soft- about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the broth and water, bring to a boil.
- Add the peas and potatoes adjust the heat so that the mixture bubbles gently, cover, and cook for 30 minutes or until the peas and potatoes are tender.
- Remove from the heat and cool for 10 minutes.
- In an electric blender or food processor, puree the soup in several batches, whirling each batch for about 15 seconds.
- Return to the pan, set over low heat, add ham and pepper; bring to serving temperature, stirring often.