Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
Light, easy to make and really yummy! Freezes well.
Make and share this Split Pea & Butternut Squash Soup recipe from Food.com.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped fine
- 2 garlic cloves, pressed
- 4 cups chicken stock, low sodium
- 2 cups water
- 1 1⁄2 cups dry split peas, well rinsed
- 1 small butternut squash, peeled and cubed
- 2 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 10 peppercorns
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 red pepper, cored and chopped fine
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, finely chopped
- Saute onion in olive oil until translucent and golden; stir in garlic and add stock and water, peas, squash, carrots, peppercorns and bay leaves, bring to boil.
- Cover and simmer on low for about 45 minutes, until peas are thoroughly cooked through.
- Add red pepper and continue to cook another 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat and pulse with hand wand until smooth.
- Return to low heat and allow to simmer another 15 minutes.
- Stir in parsley, cover and let cool.