1 hr 30 mins
Saw Alton Brown make these, and I am excited to try them...Posted for future use!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 14.79 ml olive oil, plus 1 to 2 additional tablespoons for sauteing
- 118.29 ml chopped onion
- 118.29 ml chopped bell pepper
- kosher salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 9.85 ml minced garlic
- 113.39 g mushrooms, sliced
- 709.77 ml vegetable broth
- 236.59 ml dried split peas, picked and rinsed
- 118.29 ml dry brown rice
- 4.92 ml ground coriander
- 4.92 ml ground cumin
- 177.44 ml plain breadcrumbs, plus
- 59.14 ml breadcrumbs, for coating
- 1Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large (4 to 6-quart) saucepan over medium heat.
- 2Add the onion and bell pepper along with a generous pinch of salt.
- 3Sweat for 5 minutes or until the onions are soft.
- 4Add the garlic and mushrooms and continue to cook for another 4 minutes.
- 5Add the broth, peas, rice, coriander and cumin.
- 6Increase the heat to high and bring to a boil.
- 7Decrease heat to low, cover and cook at a simmer for 1 hour or until the rice and peas are tender.
- 8Remove from the heat and gently pour the mixture into the bowl of a food processor and process until just combined.* Do not puree. Pour this mixture into a bowl and stir in the 3/4 cup of bread crumbs.
- 9Season, to taste, with salt and freshly ground pepper.
- 10Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- 11Shape the mixture into patties and dredge on each side in the remaining 1/4 cup of bread crumbs.
- 12Heat one tablespoon of olive oil in a medium saute pan over medium heat. Add 2 burgers at a time and saute until brown on each side, approximately 3 to 4 minutes per side.
- 13To grill, cook on high for 3 to 4 minutes per side as well.
- 14Serve immediately.
- 15*When blending hot liquids: Remove liquid from the heat and allow to cool for at least 5 minutes. Transfer liquid to a blender or food processor and fill it no more than halfway. If using a blender, release one corner of the lid. This prevents the vacuum effect that creates heat explosions. Place a towel over the top of the machine, pulse a few times then process on high speed until smooth.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Split Pea Burgers
Serving Size: 1 (86 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 206.8
- Calories from Fat 28
- Total Fat 3.2 g
- Saturated Fat 0.5 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 105.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 35.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.8 g
- Sugars 3.8 g
- Protein 9.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: