Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
Saw Alton Brown make these, and I am excited to try them...Posted for future use!
Make and share this Split Pea Burgers recipe from Food.com.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, plus 1 to 2 additional tablespoons for sauteing
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄2 cup chopped bell pepper
- kosher salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 4 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup dried split peas, picked and rinsed
- 1⁄2 cup dry brown rice
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3⁄4 cup plain breadcrumbs, plus
- 1⁄4 cup breadcrumbs, for coating
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large (4 to 6-quart) saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the onion and bell pepper along with a generous pinch of salt.
- Sweat for 5 minutes or until the onions are soft.
- Add the garlic and mushrooms and continue to cook for another 4 minutes.
- Add the broth, peas, rice, coriander and cumin.
- Increase the heat to high and bring to a boil.
- Decrease heat to low, cover and cook at a simmer for 1 hour or until the rice and peas are tender.
- Remove from the heat and gently pour the mixture into the bowl of a food processor and process until just combined.* Do not puree. Pour this mixture into a bowl and stir in the 3/4 cup of bread crumbs.
- Season, to taste, with salt and freshly ground pepper.
- Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Shape the mixture into patties and dredge on each side in the remaining 1/4 cup of bread crumbs.
- Heat one tablespoon of olive oil in a medium saute pan over medium heat. Add 2 burgers at a time and saute until brown on each side, approximately 3 to 4 minutes per side.
- To grill, cook on high for 3 to 4 minutes per side as well.
- Serve immediately.
- *When blending hot liquids: Remove liquid from the heat and allow to cool for at least 5 minutes. Transfer liquid to a blender or food processor and fill it no more than halfway. If using a blender, release one corner of the lid. This prevents the vacuum effect that creates heat explosions. Place a towel over the top of the machine, pulse a few times then process on high speed until smooth.
i loved this. just be sure to have a high heat pan//griddle and oil to get a real crispy crust. :)
I just wanted to note, fresh breadcrumbs do not work well with this recipe. I'm sure that you all know this, but just in case you might be tempted to make the same mistake as me, don't. Use dry. Otherwise, the recipe was quite tasty but a bit time-consuming and messy.