1 hr 30 mins
1 hr 15 mins
A really hearty and satisfying comfort soup!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 medium onions, Chopped
- 1 teaspoon chipotle hot sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh coarse ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground sea salt
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 lb dried split peas, rinsed
- 10 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup milk (for richer soup) or 1 cup half-and-half (for richer soup)
- 1/4 cup pearl barley
- 1/2 cup diced carrot
- 2 cups cubed ham or 2 cups smoked turkey sausage
- 1Heat olive oil in large soup pot over medium heat.
- 2Add onions, then add pepper, salt, pepper sauce and stir twice.
- 3Saute over medium heat for 3 minutes.
- 4Add rinsed split peas,barley,chopped carrots, garlic, bay leaves and saute another 2 minutes, stirring several times.
- 5Add chicken broth and the chopped ham or smoked turkey sausage.
- 6Bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer for 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
- 7Remove from heat, remove bay leaves,add milk or half and half and stir.
- 8Enjoy with warm, crusty bread.
Browse Our Top Midwestern U.S. Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Midwestern U.S. Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Split Pea, Barley and Ham Soup
Serving Size: 1 (583 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 627.9
- Calories from Fat 95
- Total Fat 10.5 g
- Saturated Fat 3.0 g
- Cholesterol 8.5 mg
- Sodium 2289.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 90.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 32.1 g
- Sugars 13.9 g
- Protein 43.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: