Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is from 1000 Great Recipes. Posting for ZWT3. Note the soaking time for the split peas.
- 1 cup yellow split peas
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 zucchini, diced
- 3 3⁄4 cups chicken broth
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- salt and pepper
- Place the split peas in a bowl, cover with cold water and leave to soak for several hours or overnight. Drain, rinse in cold water and drain again.
- Heat the oil in a saucepan. Add the onion, cover and cook until soft.
- Reserve a handful of the diced zucchini and add the rest to the pan.
- Cook, stirring constantly for 2-3 minutes. Add the split peas to the pan.
- Add the stock and turmeric to the pan and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 30-40 minutes, or until the split peas are tender.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- When the soup is almost ready, bring a saucepan of water to a boil, add the reserved zucchini and cook for 1 minute. Drain.
- Serve soup garnished with the boiled zucchini.