1/1 Photo of Split Pea and Sweet Potato Soup
1 hr 35 mins
1 hr 15 mins
Cardamom and garam masala add subtle spice to split peas and sweet potatoes. Directions for making on the stove and for the slow cooker. I like to add a little curry powder to spice it up even more! Adapted from Whole Foods.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup yellow split peas (or green, it just won't be as pretty)
- 1 quart vegetable broth
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 7 whole green cardamom pods
- 1 -2 tablespoon butter (or canola oil)
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder (optional)
- 1/2-1 teaspoon ground cumin
- lemon juice
- cayenne pepper (or chop up some jalapeno pepper for more heat)
- sea salt
- turbinado sugar (pptional)
- 1Stovetop method: Soak the peas in water to cover overnight. Drain and rinse.
- 2Bring vegetable broth to a boil in a medium pot. Add soaked peas, sweet potato slices and cardamom pods. Reduce heat to a simmer and cover. Simmer for an hour.
- 3Heat butter in a skillet over medium heat. Add onions, garam masala, curry powder if using and cumin and cook for 10 minutes, stirring often. When sweet potatoes and peas are tender, add the spiced onions to the pot. Stir and cook 5 minutes more. Remove cardamom pods and season the soup with lemon, cayenne, salt, and pepper to taste. Add a little sugar if desired.
- 4Slow Cooker method: Place peas, broth, sweet potato and cardamom pods in a slow cooker. Cook on high for 4 to 6 hours or on low for 6 to 8 hours, adding additional broth or water to thicken if needed. When ready to serve, heat butter in a skillet over medium heat. Add onions, garam masala, curry powder if using and cumin and cook 10 minutes, stirring often. Add the spiced onions to the slow cooker. Stir, cover and cook 15 minutes longer on high heat. Remove cardamom pods and season the soup with lemon, cayenne, salt and pepper. If you like add a little sugar to taste.
Browse Our Top Yam/Sweet Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Split Pea and Sweet Potato Soup
Serving Size: 1 (130 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 233.3
- Calories from Fat 31
- Total Fat 3.5 g
- Saturated Fat 1.9 g
- Cholesterol 7.6 mg
- Sodium 52.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 38.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 14.0 g
- Sugars 6.4 g
- Protein 12.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
green cardamom pods