Prep 18 mins
Cook 2 hrs 30 mins
This is a staple at my house.It's best in the winter when you want somthing hearty and hot. The spam can be exchanged for regular ham if you like.
- 1 lb split peas
- 2 tablespoons ham soup base
- 1 cup chopped carrot
- 1 chopped onion
- 1 (8 ounce) can Spam, chopped in small cubes
- 2 1⁄2 quarts water
- 1 tablespoon bacon fat
- Combine all ingredients except bacon fat and spam in a pot and bring to a simmer and allow to simmer for 2 hours. (or use a crockpot set on high before you leave for work in the morning).
- After cooking use a hand, or counter top blender until the pea soup is smooth.
- Cook spam cubes in bacon fat until golden brown on all sides and then add spam and bacon fat to soup.
- Salt and pepper to taste and enjoy.
Excellent. I love split pea soup and always have a can of spam around but never ham. I really enjoyed this.