Recipe by Ms*Bindy
Posted for Zaar World Tour. Recipe is from Sundays at Moosewood.
Top Review by Nikoma
Well I ate almost the whole pot by myself >.< This was quick and easy to throw together. The spice mixture was perfect. Cardamom can be touchy, but it works very well here. I did have to add more rice to mine. I also threw in some chopped carrots as I like a thicker soup. Yum!
- 1 cup dried split peas
- 3 cups water
- 2 cups onions, chopped
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄2 cup cooked rice
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Rinse the peas.
- Put them in a soup pot with 3 cups of water and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 45-60 minutes.
- Meanwhile, saute the onions and garlic in olive oil until onions are translucent.
- Mix in the spices and saute for 5-10 minutes, stirring frequently to prevent burning. Set aside.
- When peas are cooked, stir in the onion mixture along with the stock.
- Add the lemon juice and cooked rice and season with salt and pepper.
- Stir in the parsley and gently reheat.