Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
Comfort food as good as it gets. From a Martha Steward Kids magazine
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 4 medium carrots, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 celery ribs, cut into 1/4 " pieces
- 1 lb split peas, rinsed and picked
- 2 quarts chicken stock
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 lbs yukon gold potatoes, in 1/2-inch cubes
- Melt butter in a 6 quart pot over medium heat.
- Add onion, carrots and celery.
- Cook, stirring frequently, until vegetables begin to soften, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in split peas, chicken stock and bay leaf.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer, stirring occasionally for 30 minutes.
- Add potato cubes and simmer until they are tender, about 30 minutes.
- Discard bay leaf and season to taste with salt and fresh pepper.
- Serve immediately with biscuits.
- Soup keeps in air-tight container for up to 5 days in the fridge or 1 month in the freezer.