Recipe by ladybug929
I got this recipe from a resturant owner in Napa it has virtually zero fat and tons of flavor. The best part is that it is very easy to make!!
Top Review by breezermom
This is a very hearty vegetable soup! I made this while at my Mom's for our Christmas, so she would have plenty to put in her freezer for the winter. I made it as posted except I left out the onions (at her request) and threw in some swiss chard and kale that I had left from a salad I made for our family get together. This tasted wonderful, and I'll definitely make it again to have at my house. I used spicy hot V8 so that we had a little heat in the soup. Thanks for sharing!
- 8 ounces split peas
- 8 ounces lentils
- 1 1⁄2 cups carrots, cut into bite size pieces
- 2 stalks celery, cut into 1/2 inch slices
- 2 large tomatoes, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 10 leaves fresh basil, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 3 small red potatoes, cut into half inch cubes
- 1 bunch Baby Spinach
- 1 (12 ounce) can V8 vegetable juice
Directions See How It's Made
- Rinse lentils and split peas well then add to boiling water and simmer until done, about 40 minutes keep checking water before this adding if water goes below beans, drain.
- Heat olive oil in large pot, saute onions and garlic over medium heat until onions are clear about 5 minutes.
- Add celery, carrots and 1 cup of water, simmer until al dente.
- Add 4 cups water and cooked lentils and split peas.
- Squeeze tomatoes, add juice and friut to pot.
- Add v8 juice, salt, pepper, paprika, and basil to pot.
- Bring to a boil reduce heat to simmer. Add potatoes and spinach, simmer until potatoes are done about 30 minutes, stirring at least every 10 minutes.
- Garnish with parmasean cheese.