1 hr 45 mins
1 hr 15 mins
Abby Girl's Note:
Another, simpler version of their Split Pea and Ham soup using a ham steak and bacon. Excellentl flavour!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 large onion, chopped fine (about 1-1/2 cups)
- 2 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 7 cups water
- 1 lb ham steak (left whole)
- 3 bacon, thick cut (left whole)
- 1 lb split peas, picked through and rinsed (2 cups)
- 2 thyme, sprigs of fresh
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 medium celery rib, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- hot sauce, to taste (optional)
- 1Heat butter in large Dutch oven over medium high heat. When foaming subsides, add onion and 1/2 tsp salt; cook, stirring frequently, until softened, about 3 - 4 minutes.
- 2Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add water, ham steak, bacon, green peas, thyme, and bay leaves. Increase heat to high and bring to simmer, stirring frequently to keep peas from sticking to bottom.
- 3Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer until peas are tender but not falling apart, about 45 minutes.
- 4Remove ham steak, cover with foil to prevent drying out, and set aside. Stir in carrots and celery; continue to simmer, covered, until vegetables are tender and peas have almost completely broken down, about 30 minutes longer.
- 5When cool enough to handle, remove skin and shred ham into small pieces with two forks, Remove and discard thyme sprigs, bay leaves and bacon slices. Cut the fat off the bacon and chop into small pieces. Stir ham and bacon back into soup and return to simmer. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Add a few shakes of hot sauce, if desired.
Browse Our Top Ham Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Split Pea and Ham Soup - Cooks Illustrated
Serving Size: 1 (367 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 423.4
- Calories from Fat 88
- Total Fat 9.8 g
- Saturated Fat 4.2 g
- Cholesterol 46.9 mg
- Sodium 1068.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 50.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 20.4 g
- Sugars 8.2 g
- Protein 34.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: