I created this recipe by taking ingredients from other split pea soup recipes and added a few of my own. My husband loves it, and my dad requests that I make him a batch for his birthday present. This soup also freezes well.
- Rinse split peas well.
- Heat peas and water to boiling.
- Boil uncovered for 2 minutes; remove from heat. Cover and let stand for 1 hour.
- Stir in onions, celery, bay leaves, bouillon cubes, salt, pepper, garlic powder and oregano leaves. Mix well.
- Add ham bone.
- Heat to a boiling; reduce heat, cover and simmer for 1 1/2 hours; stirring occasionally.
- Remove ham bone and bay leaves.
- Stir in ham and carrots.
- Heat to a boiling; reduce heat, cover and simmer about 30 minutes or until carrots are tender and soup is desired consistency; stirring occasionally.