Prep 15 mins
Cook 3 hrs
I created this recipe by taking ingredients from other split pea soup recipes and added a few of my own. My husband loves it, and my dad requests that I make him a batch for his birthday present. This soup also freezes well.
- Rinse split peas well.
- Heat peas and water to boiling.
- Boil uncovered for 2 minutes; remove from heat. Cover and let stand for 1 hour.
- Stir in onions, celery, bay leaves, bouillon cubes, salt, pepper, garlic powder and oregano leaves. Mix well.
- Add ham bone.
- Heat to a boiling; reduce heat, cover and simmer for 1 1/2 hours; stirring occasionally.
- Remove ham bone and bay leaves.
- Stir in ham and carrots.
- Heat to a boiling; reduce heat, cover and simmer about 30 minutes or until carrots are tender and soup is desired consistency; stirring occasionally.
GREAT! I had a ham bone left over from Christmas in my freezer, and seeing NoraMarie's pictures of this recipe, I knew I had to make it. It is great. I omitted the 1/2 tsp. salt in the recipe, since I had tasted my ham and it was salty. DH has arthritis and has to watch sodium. I added a can of Hominy, which I absolutely love in my pea soup. What intrigued me the most was the oregano in here. What a great touch. I would have never thought of putting that in pea soup. Oh, and I left out the celery by accident. I had DH go to the store and didn't put that on the list. Still good without it. Thanks for this great recipe.
Soooo yummy! I used the ham bone from Easter (I forgot to review since then) and did just as the recipe says. I froze most of it, since I couldn't eat it all my myself, and gave some to my parents. My mom LOVED it and I am STILL loving it, a month later. I just take it out of the freezer, let it thaw in the fridge and it is perfect with a sanwich for lunch. Thanks for sharing this amazing recipe!
We love Split Pea and Ham soup and this was a wonderful tasting soup indeed. Great way to use up that left over ham bone.This recipe wll be found in my favorites file. Thanks for sharing