Prep 10 mins
Cook 7 hrs
This is a nice chowder for a cool day. It has great spices, along with vegetables.
- 1 medium potato, cut into small cubes
- 2 cups diced cooked ham
- 1 (16 ounce) bag split peas, rinsed
- 1 (11 ounce) canwhole kernal corn mixed with chopped peppers (red and green)
- 1 (14 ounce) can chicken broth
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 2 celery ribs, diagonally sliced
- 1 tablespoon dried onion flakes
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1 teaspoon seasoning salt
- Cut potatoes into small cubes, and add to slow cooker sprayed with vegetable cooking spray.
- In slow cooker, combine all remaining ingredients, plus 3 cups water, and 1 teaspoon salt.
- Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours.
I prepared this last night and left in on low all day. Very tasty meal to come home to which we enjoyed with crispy warmed ciabatta rolls. I made this pretty much to the recipe, except for omitting the corn which we're not overly fond of, but I did add two diced peppers - one red and one green - 2 leeks and some garlic, and I added rosemary, sage and thyme to the marjoram. It all came to more like eight serves, which I'm happy about as we are looking forward to eating this again soon. Meanwhile, the remaining six serves are in the freezer. Thank you for sharing another yummy recipe, weekend cooker. Made for 1-2-3 Hit Wonders.
How could anything this easy be SOOOO-OOO-O Good! "Don't lose this recipe" warned DH. The corn added a nice contrast of texture and taste. We're sold! There was little liquid left, so the faint of heart just need to get over that. TASTE is what it's all about! Made for Please Review My Recipe tag game.
We will be making this chowder again! Never had corn in split pea soup but it was a nice flavor and addition to the vege's. I didnt add the salt until towards the end and for us we didnt need that much. Bought the packaged diced ham in the meat department so I can make this anytime. Good stuff! Made and reviewed for Pick A Chef - Fall 2012.