Recipe by Dancer^
I love this soup, I made it 5 times already. Its high fiber low-fat. and very tasty. Points 4.
Top Review by BoogersInWhite
Made 1/2 the recipe with all of the veggies. Added the Christmas ham bone to it during the first part of the cooking. Used freshly ground black pepper, needed to add 1/2 cup of water but omitted the salt as the ham brought enough salt to this great recipe. Will definitely be a part of my repertoire for now on!
- 6 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 1⁄2 cups dried split peas
- 1⁄2 medium onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 1 stalk celery, coarsely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄2 cup pearl barley
- fresh ground white pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Place broth, split peas, onion, carrot, celery and garlic into a 3-quart pot.
- Bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 1 hour.
- Mix soup, a small amount at a time, in a food processor or blender.
- Return pureed soup to pot and add barley.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer 30 to 40 minutes or until barley is tender.
- Season with salt and white pepper.